Friday, November 7, 2008

All Saint's Day

When we first moved to Lithuania back in 2000 one of the first cultural things we experienced was All Saint's Day. There was one of the largest cemetaries almost right behind our apartment building. We were taken there by some friends and it was one of the prettiest things I had seen. Rows and rows of candles and flowers laid out to remember loved ones or friends that has passed away. It didn't seem scary or strange, just serile. This year I thought the kids were old enough to go with me to the cemetary. We past by it on the way to the store and they saw a few candles and when asked if they wanted to go back with me they seemed pretty excited. After dinner we walked around looking at the dates, flowers, pictures and candles. Poor Miriam even burned her finger on one trying to move it to see a date. I thought Zach might be a bit scared, but he was running around, asking me to come look at things. I hope it was a neat experience for them.

I think this was just a memorial wall with many names and dates. I thought it was pretty.

'Where should I go next?'

Miriam thought these flowers and candles were 'so beautiful'.

No comments: